Advice on gas safety checks in your home
We take our responsibilities on gas safety and inspection very seriously.
Around 50 people die each year due to accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. A colourless, odourless, tasteless and non-irritating toxic gas, it can appear in homes with faulty central heating systems, gas appliances or fires. In the early stages of the poisoning, symptoms are similar to other common ailments so it can go undetected until it is too late.
It is therefore vital that you have the gas appliances and heating systems in your home checked regularly. We take these responsibilities on gas safety and inspection very seriously.
As your landlord we will:
- ensure Gas Safe registered engineers carry out annual gas servicing and safety inspections at all properties
- inspect and service all gas appliances every year to check they are safe and are being used correctly
- give you the chance to book gas service appointments at a convenient time
- keep a record of your annual gas service
- give you a copy of your annual gas safety certificate
- allow us prompt access to your home every year so we can carry out these inspections
- keep any appointments that we make for inspections and servicing
- let us know if you have to re-arrange an appointment
- get written permission from us if you want to replace a gas appliance, such as a fire or a boiler
- remove all ornaments and other items from areas where the engineer needs to work during the service or inspection
- turn off any fire being inspected for at least an hour before your appointment
- ensure your gas cooker is clean if it is being checked
- make sure the engineer can easily access the boiler and meter cupboards.
If you don't allow access, you will be breaching the terms of your tenancy agreement and we may have to take legal action to gain entry to your home.
If you suspect a gas leak:
- open all doors and windows
- switch off appliances and do not re-use until it has been checked
- turn off the gas supply next to your gas meter and contact us or the National Gas Emergency Service (Freephone number 0800 111 999) immediately
- avoid the use of any naked flames, doorbells, mobile phones or electrical switches.